12 October 2017

Porcini spelt risotto


I just love this mushroom season that's still very much going on over here. We are getting the most beautiful local fresh porcini mushrooms from our vegetable market. They are only quite pricey at the moment, so I have to plan the dishes carefully. But of course it's totally worth it. Porcini mushrooms are called Karl Johan svampe here and are quite popular in cooking. Last weekend we were served a lovely dish cooked with them when we went out.

As I bought a small batch of these lovely mushrooms, I decided to make this well-liked classic in our household, spelt risotto, with them. Most of the time I add dried porcini mushrooms to my risottos, but the fresh ones were so good. I also love their quirky looks with long stems and different shapes, and they tasted absolutely gorgeous. The dish turned out really great and I'll have to make this again while the mushrooms are still available. Have a look at my recipe below.

Porcini spelt risotto

Ingredients

150 g fresh porcini
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp olive oil for frying
1 tbsp butter
2 cups pearled spelt
1/2 cup dry white wine
500 ml vegetable stock
Generous amount of fresh parsley
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp ground black pepper



Method

Clean the mushrooms first. Don't wash them, just brush any dirt off with a moist cloth or a brush. Then slice them.

Also chop the onion and garlic finely and start cooking them in oil. Once they are translucent, add the sliced mushrooms and fry them a little.

The add the butter, followed by the pearled spelt. Pour the white wine in the pan and let it absorb. Finally start making warm vegetable stock additions and let the spelt risotto simmer.

Cook until the pearled spelt is soft and season to taste with the fresh parsley, salt and pepper.

Enjoy as a warming and cosy autumn dish!



Your VegHog

4 comments:

  1. My goodness this looks so fulfilling. Especially with this beautiful autumn weather.

    ADRI IN PINKINSTAGRAM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you back Adi! Hope you are doing fine. Thank you so much for the kind comment! This is just perfect grub for the weather.

      Delete
  2. I do like porcini mushrooms but as you said yourself, they are quite pricey so a treat indeed. A wonderful autumnal dish and treat indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's right. I need to plan another dish carefully, if I want to buy them again.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.