28 August 2017

Finnish Your Dinner


We held a small event in our shared courtyard yesterday, and invited our neighbours to come over to try some Finnish food. This was all because I saw on Friday that there was going to be a worldwide cooking event to celebrate Finland's approaching 100 years of independence by offering Finnish food to your friends and neighbours where ever you are. The independence day itself is on the 6th December, and last weekend it was 100 days until that day. The theme was "Dinner under the Finnish sky", and we actually got lucky and had a blue and white sky.


It was a bit of a short notice hearing about this two days before cooking, so I decided to keep it simple, and make just a couple of small snacks. I also made my own leaflets inviting the neighbours to the event.


I made three dishes for our Finnish Your Dinner event:

- Finnish potato pies, a dish that I've already shared here on several occassions. You can find the recipe here.

- Chanterelle tart, of course I had to use seasonal mushrooms, which are very popular to be used in Finland in this season.

- Kropsu, a thick oven pancake from my region, served with fresh blueberries and raspberries. I've also posted a Kropsu recipe before, which you can find here.

There was also of course homemade salty liquorice vodka accompanied by melancholic Finnish rock music to make the right atmosphere.






It was all very rustic and homely, just like Finland is. It was also nice to get to know some neighbours with this weird excuse. I was afraid that people would now think that I'm a bit odd, which is actually quite accurate in the end, so it doesn't really matter. Sometimes it's good to try to be social. I find Danish people very friendly and talkative in general, so it's nice to have small gatherings over here.

Have a nice week everyone!

Your VegHog

8 comments:

  1. That is so nice inviting neighbours round, i think its also a good way to get to know them and become approachable. I love the look of your Chanterelle tart and wonder if you will share the recipe, as you know someone sent me some chanterelle mushrooms and I want to do more with them than risotto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will share that chanterelle tart recipe soon indeed. Ah yes, I fully forgot about the chanterelles. I think the dried ones would also be good in such a tart. :)

      Delete
  2. Good to see that the sky joined in to help you celebrate! I'm sure your neighbours were very appreciative of such a friendly new neighbour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we happened to be very lucky with the sky and our neighbours are really nice too.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant idea, lucky neighbours x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought straight away that I need to take part in this event when I bumped into it in the Finnish news. It was a great idea and I'm glad that we managed to do something like this.

      Delete
  4. Lovely idea! And I am craving those potato pies - will work on a vegan version! 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, it was a lot of fun! And a vegan version of the potato pies will be very easy, just substitute the butter and you got it! Good luck! :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.