29 April 2017

Chocolate and buttercream cake


Yes, a chocolate and buttercream cake or a failed Swiss roll with the same filling. Indeed I was planning to make a classic Finnish recipe for a chocolate Swiss roll with heavenly buttercream filling, but something happened. I didn't spread the dough widely enough for the baking, so I wasn't able to roll it like a Swiss roll in the end. However this quick cake conversion with the buttercream in the middle was also very tasty.

I have now twice failed to make this Swiss roll properly, as the first time when making it with a slightly different recipe, the dough stuck too much to my baking paper, making a bit messy looking roll. It was a roll, though. That was a couple of years ago, and I didn't post that recipe at all, and now this happened... I will try the proper Finnish classic again, one day I'll have to manage.

I am going to share this recipe here, and you can decide yourself, with which format you would like to go. I can actually recommend either. I probably just should have spread the buttercream slightly more thinly or cut another layer to the cake, but that's just my preference.


Chocolate and buttercream cake

Ingredients

Dough
4 eggs
1,5 dl sugar
1 dl wheat flour
0,5 dl cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder

Filling
100 g double cream
1 dl icing sugar
100 g butter
1 tbsp vanilla sugar

Coconut flakes and sugar

Method

Make the dough first by whisking the eggs and the sugar into a foam. Combine the dry ingredients and add them through a sieve to the eggs and sugar. Spread the dough on a baking tray on baking paper.

Bake at 200 C for about 10 minutes or until done.

Turn it over on a baking sheet with spread coconut flakes and sugar and let cool.

For the filling, whisk the cream. Add the soft butter and sugar to it and mix into buttercream.

Then spread the cake with the buttercream and either roll into a Swiss roll, or make a simple cake like I did, and cut it to pieces.

Enjoy!

Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. I am sure it tasted great even if you didn't get the swirl of the swiss rolle - good luck with getting it to your liking next time you do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tasted good nevertheless, but I'm still annoyed that I never seem to get this right. I will surely document my further attempts here.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.