8 March 2017

In My Kitchen in March

It's hard to believe that it's already March! I'm quite optimistic going towards spring, but how could these first two months slip by so quickly? Anyway, I collected some things in this post that are currently in my kitchen and want to share the post with Liz from Good Things, who is hosting the In My Kitchen blogging event.

I've spotted the first signs of spring in my area, as spring flowers start appearing here and there. It can't be long now, right?



I bought Matt Sewell's bird spotting notebook, which I may use for some recipe notes, if I can ever write anything in it rather than keeping it clean and nice to look at. I have that issue with notebooks, I love them, but I don't want to ruin them by writing in them...



I finally took upon organising the spice rack. That was long overdue, the trolley was full of stuff, spices, oils, baking ingredients, some of which had expired in 2014! Unfortunately I didn't take a before picture, so this is after. It's still not perfect, but much more neat and in order than before. Now I can actually find what I'm looking for. The trolley itself was quite a good buy from Ikea, it's mobile and sturdy.



I've been drinking more healthy waters, and of course one of my all time favourites is birch water, as we sourced it with our granddad in our childhood. It was all sustainable and from his own forest, and the season started straight away when the snow and ice had melted. It was so great to get the first refreshing harvest of the spring. Now I have to buy the bottled version, but even that brings back a lot of memories.


I bought this Classic Chipotle Chilli Sauce, but haven't dared to use it yet. It might be too spicy for me, so I will let my partner try it first. I just quite liked the bottle.


I've had this jar of Gelatina di Balsamico in my cupboard for a while, but now I finally used it. It was really great jellied balsamic vinegar, and it added such a punch to a tomato mozzarella salad. 


I couldn't resist these cute bee gingerbread cookies. I think I'll slip them into our lunchboxes one day.


A new brewhouse opened close to my house, and they serve such tasty pizzas. The pizzas are served in takeaway boxes to the table for the less formal dining, and this one was a basic tomato-mozzarella pizza with olives as a topping. 
 

This was my kitchen, and a bit of the surrounding area, in March. I hope you enjoyed the post, can't wait to have a peek into your kitchens!

Your VegHog

12 comments:

  1. Hiya! I'm loving your bird spotting notebook. Do tell where you found that one, please. I'm also partial to your bee gingerbreads. Birch water, wow! Happy March and thank you kindly for the shout out xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting again Liz! The bird spotting notebook is by the artist Matt Sewell, and over here I've seen them in John Lewis and Waterstones. There are also online shops.

      Delete
  2. Amusing idea to serve dine-in pizza in a take-out box!
    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same about notebooks - love them but want to just keep them for good. Birch water and jellied balsamic are new to me but sounds interesting. And the pizza looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna! Yes, these are quite nice things, and I really do have a bad notebook habit...

      Delete
  4. I know what you mean about notebooks, I feel the same too. Lovely to peek in your kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stationery is just lovely, even better unused, haha...

      Delete
  5. beautiful notebook there. birch water is a new one on me. sounds interesting. does it have any flavour at all? that bottle of sauce looks amazing. love the label. i bet the balsamico was tasty. great to have a clean out too isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm it's quite difficult to describe the birch water flavour, there's a certain mild sweetness. It also feels thicker than normal water. I hope you'll be able to try it at some point. And yes, I'm very glad that I cleaned up a bit, dry cupboard next!

      Delete
  6. Had to smile about your buying the chipotle chili sauce because you liked the bottle. Been there, done that! (Your flower photos are beautiful, too.) I've never heard of birch water but it sounds like a fascinating item, especially with such sentimental ties. Wasn't familiar with jellied balsamic vinegar either, but I bet added a boat load of flavor to your dishes. FUN glimpse in your kitchen, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for your comment Kim!

      Haha I buy quite a lot of stuff because of the packaging, but they normally turn out to be good anyway.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.