28 February 2017

Eat Your Greens February Round Up


First I thought that Eat Your Greens would be very quiet in February, as it's only a short month, but to my delight suddenly the posts started coming, and we have once again a very vibrant round up of green vegetarian and vegan dishes. Thank you so much everyone for taking part!

Johanna from Green Gourmet Giraffe shared a Chickpea tofu and pea curry. I haven't tried chickpea tofu myself yet, but I'm really interested, as it seems to be a nice cooking ingredient. I just haven't seen it anywhere in my local shops. This curry looks so tasty served from adorable bowls. And what's not to like about any pea curries, I absolutely love them!


Laura from Touch Wood posted 3 post workout protein fix: an egg, avocado, tomato and spinach bowl (depicted below); a protein bowl of mixed whole grains, kale, butter beans and sweet potato chips; and power smoothie starters including a great idea of frozen smoothie ingredients. These are all great ideas to add some protein to your diet and they all look very good and use a variety of veggies.


Corina from Searching for Spice wrote a very seasonal recipe, perfect for today as it's Shrove Tuesday, Leek Pancakes with Spinach, Kale & Ricotta. I'm a great appreciator of savoury pancakes and could tuck into these straight away. These pancakes look really lovely, especially with the semi-hidden leeks in the batter, and adding some more greens as a topping is a great idea.


Shaheen, my Eat Your Greens co-host, from Allotment 2 Kitchen shared a local delicacy from Wales Welsh Laverbread Cakes and a Piece of Toast. Laverbread is cooked and puréed seaweed that can be added to whole range of veggie meals. The cakes are made from laverbread and oats and can be served as a part of a vegetarian breakfast. I like the usage of local ingredients very much and the innovation is great in the recipe.


Sadhna from Herbs, Spices and Tradition posted a recipe for a Minty veg yoghurt salad (Raita). This salad looks so refreshing, not just due to the mint. It also contains cucumber, tomato and potato along with spices. She also shares in her post a lot of valuable information about mint. I don't use enough mint in my cooking, so I might have to experiment more.
 

We also received an entry from Mastering the Art of French Cooking, The Vegan Version blog, a Vegan choux de Bruxelles à la crème. These are blanched brussels sprouts, which are then cooked in almond cream. This would make quite a nice winter side dish


My own Eat Your Greens post was Kalette and leek cakes made from the left-overs of the previous day. These small potato cakes made quite a nice small dish, and so economical. 


Now it's over to Shaheen again for Eat Your Greens March edition, keep sharing your wonderful recipes with us!

Your VegHog

8 comments:

  1. Lovely round up and write up VegHog, yes I thought it would be a quiet month too - but lovely green lushness in 7 diverse plates of food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a nice round as usual. Have fun hosting in March! :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely round up! Your Kalette cakes look yummy and I'm also very tempted by the minty veg and yoghurt salad as I love raitas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Corina, and thank you for taking part again! I always adore your recipes.

      Delete
  3. Always such an interesting array of greens in Eat Your Greens - great inspiration, thanks VegHog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice again indeed, thank you Johanna!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for hosting this month, such a nice collection of recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sadhna! It was good to see a recipe from you too!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.