5 January 2017

Healthy January salad

 
Let's keep the January posts healthy and light for now. Who knows, maybe very soon I'll be craving heavier comfort food, but this week I've been happy with lighter eating. It has been a very busy week at work, but I've felt more balanced and have had more energy. I'm not sure whether it's the new year's boost, or if a lighter diet can really have such a fast impact.

I very much enjoyed this salad yesterday evening and took the left-overs to work for lunch. The radish and cabbage that I pickled last autumn added a nice punch to the salad. I also added some more filling agents like the quinoa and lentils. My partner looked a bit disappointed first by a salad dinner, but especially the pickles won him over.


This salad contained:

  • fresh mixed green leaves
  • beetroot cubes
  • carrot cubes
  • with beetroot coloured quinoa
  • puy lentils
  • pickled radish
  • pickled cabbage

How has your January started in regards to eating? Have you been trying to eat healthier, or even taking part in challenges like veganuary? I could have done veganuary and probably will be eating mostly vegan, but I brought some of my favourite cheese from Finland and already opened the packet, so it's too late for full veganism for me.




Have a nice weekend!

Your VegHog

4 comments:

  1. I love how the pickled vegies won your partner over - I don't do pickling but was watching nigella doing it on tv and thinking I must get into it - I know you seem to do some nice pickling too so will try and get inspired! It has been hot here so it is easier to eat lighter when we are sitting around feeling quite melted and not in need of food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pickling was kind of my partner's idea in the first place. It was nice to add some punchier things to a salad, and those radishes had been pickled with only tiny chillies, but had apparently sucked in all the spiciness. It was good!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! It's nice to have colourful food in this season!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.