26 January 2017

Cheese and onion pie


Maybe it’s already over for me with the healthy eating boost to the new year. I’m not sure, but lately in this chillier weather I have been craving for heavier dinners. It has been chilly and foggy over here, almost feeling like winter. January has been so long, but unfortunately not such a productive blogging month for me. I’m confident that it will get better towards the spring.

I suddenly remembered this favourite of mine, Simon Hopkinson’s mother’s cheese and onion pie, and simply had to make it. I have made this pie for several times. It's so full of cheese and onion goodness and it's a tough one to beat as a winter favourite. I pretty much followed the recipe that I have already shared on my blog here. I only added some dry cider to the onions this time, and it was a very tasty addition, I can only recommend it. I also made the pie in a slightly lower pie dish this time, and obviously the decorations were different. It's nice to spend a couple of extra minutes making cute surfaces for covered pies. This time I went with the hedgehog theme. This would also make a nice centrepiece when inviting friends over.

The original recipe is by Simon Hopkinson, My mother's cheese and onion pie. It's also in his vegetarian cookbook and was made by him in his BBC cooking programme. I can only recommend this recipe!





Your VegHog

6 comments:

  1. such a cute pie - and such a lovely winter dish - it is nice to use your cutters for pastry to make sure they get lots of love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I want to use my cookie cutters as much as possible in cooking in a creative way. :)

      Delete
  2. I have simon Hopkinsons vegetarian cookbook that you refer too so will take a gander closer.
    I do love how you have personalized this pie.
    One of the reasons i chose not to do Veganuary this year was one i know i can do a month of vegan diet, as i do with Vegan Mofo, but also i knew with it being nippy as well as all the cheese we had from the festive break, i would be eating more hearty, creamy cheesy dishes - yes healthy eating never started for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, sorry, I just realised that this recipe is in hin book The Good Cook and not in The Vegetarian Option. Somehow I thought it would be in that one. It's all as well not having a healthy January, I agree that some comfort food has to come as well.

      Delete
  3. No worries VegHog,
    I've just got back from grocery shopping and will be entering the kitchen to prep for dinner later. I will be posting the EatYourGreens Round up on the 31st and then it over to you for February. Have a good w/e

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy the dinner and have a nice weekend too! I'm ready for EatYourGreens next month, nice to see your round up soon!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.