29 November 2016

Pickling vegetables


I have been pickling some vegetables lately, something that is quite new to me. I do enjoy the occasional pickle on the side, so I thought I'd experiment a bit more with the method. I also recently purchased this Fermenting Food book, which offers so many good tips and recipes for pickling and fermenting.

I already pickled kohlrabi and radishes with cabbage a while ago. I added half and half vinegar and water liquid, and mustard seeds as the seasoning. To the radish I also added small homegrown red chilli slices. The radish jar turned red very quickly after resting a little bit in the fridge.

I'm just clearing my balcony from the last plants and now have plenty of green tomatoes to use. I think I need some pickling ideas for them as well. I'm not sure what to make with them yet.

I would very much like to hear about your pickling experiences and tips!






Your VegHog

1 comment:

  1. Fermenting is quite big at the moment and why not. This all looks good, hope you enjoy your fermenting experiments. I think fermented foods are an acquired taste. I made some vegan kimchi, it was my first attempt and needs improving, i enjoyed it. I think I shared it on my IMK blog post, but not the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.