8 October 2016

In My Kitchen in October

Lizzy from Good Things has taken over the In My Kitchen blogger challenge from Maureen, so I wanted to warmly welcome her as a new host! Go and pay a visit to her blog and also have a peek into other people's kitchens. I am posting here what's going on in my kitchen in October.

I have been cooking quite a lot with the homegrown produce from my balcony, especially the tomatoes and peppers have been productive and there have also been several good pattypan squashes. I should also dry some of the chillies soon. I have the feeling that there will still be quite a lot to eat from the balcony garden. This has been a very good year for urban gardening.



A cactus theme suddenly filled our home after we had paid a visit to our shopping centre's new Flying Tiger of Copenhagen shop, where I went crazy for this cute cactus design. We got a drinking jug, soft fleece blanket, post cards, gift bags and napkins in the same design, and there still would've been loads of other cute items. How would you find a cactus lamp in my kitchen?




Brewdog opened a new bar in our area in September, so we've obviously been keen customers there ever since. They have such a good craft beer selection themselves and their guest beers are always excellent. We had to buy this growler with which you can buy take out beer. It's such a good idea.




I finally got myself a spiraliser. Can you believe that as a vegetarian food blogger and keen cook, I haven't owned one before! I've been using my cutting knife so far that cuts thin strips, but now a whole new world opened to me with a better, more convenient spiraliser. As you can imagine I've been spiralising a lot of vegetables and my salads have never looked so appealing before. Braise yourselves for more spiralised dishes on the blog.







I have been eating loads of special limited edition grapes lately, like the Funny Fingers variety depicted here and the longish dark Sweet Sapphire variety. First I was a bit taken aback by their looks, but they turned out to be really tasty. They are such good additions to work lunch boxes and something refreshingly new and different.


Every time I see a novelty vegetable in the shop, I have to buy it. When I first detected a sweet sprouting cauliflower, it had to come home with me. I really like its mild flavour and versatility. I've been steaming, frying and roasting it and served it with pasta and potato dishes. It's a nice one for a change, if you're a bit tired of cauliflower and purple sprouting broccoli.


This was it for this time. I hope that October will continue crisp and cool to get into the proper autumn feeling. It has still been a bit too warm here in Southern England.

Have a good weekend!

Your VegHog

16 comments:

  1. love the cauliflower, the grapes and the napkins and everything else. I will have a look at the blog good things, enjoy the rest of your weekend. I am emptying my kitchen as I am getting new one so for the next two weeks we'll be living with my in-laws. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you for getting a new kitchen that'll be exciting! Will you introduce it on your blog? Enjoy the rest of the weekend too!

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to have grapes in season - was pining for them the other day as I looked for local fruit in our supermarket! Love your tomatoes and all your produce. The cactus products are cute esp the jar and I hope you have fun with the spiraliser

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grapes are brilliant aren't they, somehow I can't get enough of them at the moment. I bought a mango grape variety yesterday, they are so so good!

      Delete
  3. Hi there! So lovely to make your acquaintance. Thank you for the very warm welcome and the shout out. Wow, those grapes are amazing. And I'm loving your tomatoes, too. Thank you for the peek into your kitchen xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lizzy, it was my pleasure, I'll try to post something to In My Kitchen every month.

      Delete
  4. Spiralizers are everywhere. So many bloggers list them as new tools (or toys) "in my kitchen." I've seen them for sale in both the US and the UK. They must be a lot of fun.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mae, yes it is kind of fun to have the veggies in different shapes for a change. I really like the look of the spiralised veggies.

      Delete
  5. Lots of good things indeed. Those grapes are amazing, I've not seen them. I've got a spiralizer, but hardly ever use it, i've had it for two years. There is a Tiger shop in the town where I work, its one of the places I frequent in my lunch hour. I've just linked my IMK blog post, never thought I was going to get it up this month. A Brewdog has opened up in Cardiff, but we only ever go to Cardiff during the daytime, so its very unlikely I will visit it :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I also saw the finger grapes only twice, so disappointing, as I could eat them all the time. Tiger and Brewdog are both nice to have close by. I hope you'll get to visit the Cardiff Brewdog one day.

      Delete
  6. Those grapes look very cool! And your tomatoes look great, so many possibilities....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind comment! :)

      Delete
  7. I've never seen grapes that "shape" but they sounded delicious! (Hope I can find some.) Also hoping to try balcony (or patio) gardening next Spring.. looks like you had a bumper crop! While I was away from my kitchen (far too frequently this year) my son took me to a brewery and I had to ask what a growler was, lol! (Loved your photos from that foray.) And for every time I've ever said I should get a "spiralizer" (and haven't yet), I truly NEED a spiralizer NOW. :) Thanks for extolling its virtues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim, thank you very much for your nice comment! I can only recommend balcony gardening, it's so rewarding getting your own produce onto the table.

      Delete
  8. It must be the month for spiralisers. I keep seeing them everywhere:). Look at all your lovely home grown produce. And those grapes are a laugh aren't they? What a shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry! I first just laughed at the grapes and was a bit suspicious, but they are really good. :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.