2 October 2016

Fondant potato, cheese and onion pies


I have been making fondant potatoes a few times lately. They are so tasty and comforting and also a bit naughty due to the rich butter ans vegetable stock mix where they cook. I think that they are quite perfect for autumnal dishes. I have made fondant potato pasties in the past and now I wanted to incorporate them into proper pies. I wanted to go with a good tried and tested combination of potato, onion and cheese with notes of thyme running through. These pies turned out really nice and I will surely make them again.

I had some seasonal vegetables on the side, steamed sweet sprouting cauliflower, which is very mild and pleasant new vegetable for me, and roasted acorn squash and purple carrots. I love the vegetables of this season!

Here is my recipe for 4 small pies:

Ingredients

3 onions
2 garlic cloves
Olive oil
6 potatoes
Fresh thyme sprigs
500 ml vegetable stock
25 g butter
1 garlic clove
400 g shortcrust pastry
150 g grated Cheddar

Sides: steamed sweet sprouting cauliflower, roasted purple carrots and acorn squash

Method

Chop the onions into half rings and cook them slowly and long until they are caramelised. Then add the finely chopped garlic to them.

Quarter the potatoes and place them into a frying pan. Put some thyme sprigs onto them and also add one quartered garlic clove and the butter. Then pour in the vegetable stock so that the potato tops aren't quite covered. Let simmer until the stock has evaporated and the potatoes are tender and browned. The potatoes can be turned over just before removing them from the pan.


Roll the shortcrust pastry out thinly and divide it into ramekins or small pie dishes. Cut the rest of the pastry into about 0.5 cm wide long strips.

Fill the pastry with grated cheese, onion mix and potatoes by layering them into the dishes in turns. Season with some additional fresh thyme.

Cover the pie with a pleated griddle of pastry.

Bake the pies at 180 C for about 30 minutes.

Enjoy!





Your VegHog

8 comments:

  1. I love veggie pies, and tis the season. I like how you made an effort with the lattice work makes it more special. And ooh I see you have rainbow carrots on your plate, i've not seen any locally this year, will have to go the the indoor market during the week to see if any of the local grocers has some in stock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get enough of pies in this season, this is only the start. Same goes for rainbow carrots, which I have now spotted a couple of times.

      Delete
    2. No rainbow carrots here thus far (sad face) will keep looking though.

      Delete
    3. That's very annoying. I haven't seen too many either, but buy them every time I see them.

      Delete
  2. Your lattice pies look fantastic - I could do with a pie right now - it is spring but the rain is lashing down and it is cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna! I hope it gets warmer for you soon.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow - these won't help my diet but they will make me smile! They look AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen! They are quite rustic, but I really enjoyed them. :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.