11 May 2016

In My Kitchen in May

Here are some newcomers to my kitchen and household.

The City Grower by Matt Franks is a new urban gardening book for my collection. This book contains many useful tips for urban gardeners, good advice about planning a small garden and choosing the plants. The book is full of beautiful photos and illustrations. I just posted an update about what's currently happening on my balcony gardening wise, so I'm very keen to read about urban gardening in general.





Furthermore related to the gardening theme, a mister. I just had to get this cute mister for my plants, even though it has been purely decorative so far. My succulents have also been doing well lately.


I bought this razor-sharp peeling knife in Denmark. It's so sharp that it makes me a little scared, but it peels just beautifully and the handle is pleasant to hold. I have never seen such shiny carrots after peeling. Mind your fingers though when using this!


My mum got me this Polle tin container for Christmas, so it's not brand new, but hasn't made an appearance on the blog yet. The cartoon pony Polle was one of the most important characters in my childhood, I just loved reading about its adventures. Below is a short comic strip in Finnish as an example. I was thrilled to see that people are still (or again) making Polle products and my mum spotted it in the shop.

 
I have been chewing daily Finnish Jenkki Raspberry-Liquorice chewing gum. It's very good to the teeth due to the xylitol and the raspberry-liquorice flavour is also great, as I happen to love liquorice.


I have been enjoying lately many beers by the Mad Hatter Brewing Company from Liverpool. The beers are very good and I also like the rabbit character on the bottles a lot.




Pearled spelt stew with harissa and halloumi has almost been the dish of the month, as I could just eat it every day. I normally put in some roasted peppers and tomatoes, pearled spelt seasoned with harissa and golden brown fried halloumi.


I'm sharing this post with Maureen for In My Kitchen May edition. 
 
Have further a nice week everyone!

Your VegHog

9 comments:

  1. Lovely! I like to think of Polle and that Mad Hatter Rabbit cavorting about the kitchen when you are out :-) That stew looks delicious and the gardening book sounds interesting. Obviously you need some garden for your mister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that Polle and the rabbit do exactly that. :)

      Delete
  2. so many cute things in your kitchen I love the mister. I like the look of the book, but my efforts in the garden seem to be poor, so no urban gardening books for me. As for the peeler, good thing - its an essential in my kitchen . PS I have recently made a salad with pearled spelt and it was delicious, hope to share soon on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't pearled spelt just the best, looking forward to seeing your dish!

      Delete
  3. The mister is gorgeous - nice to have around even if you don't use it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute cartoon characters! They don't seem to have appeared in anything I've read or seen. We're so dominated by Disney and Warner.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the pony cartoons are originally from Sweden and not so widely spread, but to me they were more than normal beside all the usual American stuff. :)

      Delete
  5. i have never heard of Polle but s/he is very cute. I love rabbits so i really like the labels you have there. Raspberry liquorice sounds interesting. i do like dutch salted liquorice; i remember that from my childhood as we grew up in an area that had a lot of dutch migrants. what a great peeler tho i would be scared of the sharpness too.:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.