7 October 2015

Lebanese Spice Mix

I've had a favourite cookbook recently: A Lebanese Feast of Vegetables, Pulses, Herbs and Spices by Mona Hamadeh. I have been cooking a few recipes from that book and some of them several times, as they are so good. I will surely review this book at some point more closely, but I already have the feeling that this month could include quite a few predominantly vegan Middle Eastern recipes on this blog.


I'm going to start the posts with a typical Lebanese spice mix, which is in the book on pages 258-259 Lebanese Mixed Spices. It is a really good spice mix for rice dishes especially. It will feature later here in some “proper” recipes. It has a nice cinnamon taste and it's not too hot for my taste. Below is my slight variation of the original recipe.


To make a small jar of this spice mix, take these ingredients and grind them into fine powder:

8 bay leaves
15 g ground ginger
40 g cinnamon
½ ground nutmeg
15 g cloves
50 g allspice
25 g black pepper
10 g cardamom

As you can see, it doesn't take much effort to make this mix, and then you have it ready for a few dishes.

Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. I have borrowed a book from library called Nordic Bakery by Miisa Mink and I love it, there are lot's of recipes that I have already seen in your blog but still , I have tried many flat breads, poppy lemon cake and rye bread, bliss !
    Let me know if you already now this book and what do you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with it yet, but it sounds good and I will look it up. Thanks for the tip! I'm glad that you embrace the Nordic baking style, that's the one that I also love!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.