24 October 2015

Butternut squash pasta


The other day I cooked this butternut squash pasta recipe and it was a beautiful dish. The original recipe is here: Nigel Slater’s butternut squash with orecchiette and tomato recipe. Frying the squash in butter and oil mixture just gives it such a great taste. Nigel really is on to something here. I love the warmth that comes from the cumin seeds and the slight heat from the chilli flakes. All in all this is a great vegetarian dish, and super easy to make! 

I made a few changes to the original recipe. Instead of orecchiette I used spelt tagliatelle, nice organic pasta that I snapped with me from the health food shop, and I'll have to buy it again. It stayed nicely al dente and added some nuttiness to the dish.


I added a clove of garlic to the dish, which wasn't in Nigel's recipe, but I don't think that it made things worse.

I had to use fresh basil instead of sage. When I shopped for this recipe, my shop unfortunately didn't have any fresh sage, so I opted for basil, which was also lovely, but I really hope to taste this dish with sage as well.



Have a good weekend!

Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. That looks lovely. I'm trying to work out what to do with my pumpkins after Halloween - I think I now have the answer! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Belinda! That was a very nice recipe indeed, I'm sure you'll like it with your pumpkins. :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.