24 July 2015

Roasted heirloom tomato and baby pepper soup


The VegHog's Tomato Festival is going strong and I'm still very much a fan of the humble tomato. I think that I will continue with this theme until Sunday, so feel free to share your vegetarian or vegan tomato recipes as well, if you like!

What I cooked this time, is a roasted heirloom tomato and baby pepper soup. It is a bit of an extra effort roasting the tomatoes and peppers first, but in the end there's a reward in the taste. The soup itself is vegan and I liked it very much. Have a look below at how I made it. 

Ingredients

400 g selection of heirloom tomatoes
200 g baby peppers
2 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp vegetable stock powder
Fresh basil leaves
Ground black pepper
Salt


Method

Cut the peppers in halves or smaller pieces and remove the seeds. Brush the tomatoes and cut peppers with olive oil and roast them in the oven.



Finely chop the red onion and garlic. Once the vegetables are roasted, start cooking the onion and garlic in a saucepan until they are soft. Then add the roasted vegetables and break them slightly with a ladle.

Add the vegetable stock powder to the pan and let simmer under the lid. Season with salt, pepper and fresh basil and purée the soup. I left a few chunks in there, as I found that to be a more interesting solution. You can add little water, if you want a more liquid soup. My soup could have been used as a dip or a sauce as well, as it turned out to be quite thick. It was very filling though, just a suitable summer soup.

Enjoy the soup warm and you can also serve my weird toasts with green topping with it, although the photos didn't quite capture the colour correctly. For the toasts, I ground basil and garlic with mortar and pestle and then added grated mozzarella to them. I toasted some super seeded toast and cut them into smaller pieces, put the cheese mix on the top and baked them in the oven until the cheese had melted. That explains the pale green topping.





I'm sharing this recipe with Vegetable Palette vegetarian cooking challenge by Shaheen from A2K – A Seasonal Veg Table. The theme for this month's challenge is Glorious reds and I think that this tomato and pepper soup meets the brief pretty well.
 

Have a great weekend everyone!

Your VegHog

4 comments:

  1. Yummy, I love the colours of your soup

    ReplyDelete
  2. True taste and colour of summer and thank you so much for sharing with #VegetablePalette. I also love the look of those toasts, weird I think not, they look yummy too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.