25 March 2015

Creamy mushroom sauce with fusilli

This sort of creamy mushroom sauce used to be the food of choice in my student days. I used to make it constantly and combine with either pasta or potatoes. Then I sometimes had to use canned mushrooms and no fresh herbs, obviously due to a limited student budget, but it never stopped me loving this sauce. 

My vegetarian diet used to be very one-sided back then, but luckily I started eating more versatile dishes and ingredients afterwards. These days I don't make such a creamy sauce too often and recently if I have made it, then more often with potato mash than pasta and also used oat cream instead of “real” cream. Now I thought it's time to combine this sauce with pasta again and I did enjoy eating it and remembering back to my student days.

Here is the simple recipe.


Ingredients

200 g chestnut mushrooms
1 shallot
1 garlic clove
1 tbsp olive oil
200 ml cream
Fresh basil leaves
Sage to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
Mature cheddar grated on the top
Fusilli pasta

Method

Cut the mushrooms into thin slices and chop the shallot and garlic finely.

Start cooking the shallot and garlic in olive oil and then add the mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes before adding the cream. Then let simmer slowly so that the cream gets infused by the mushroom flavour.

Season the sauce with basil, sage, salt and pepper to taste and grate the cheese.

Cook the fusilli pasta al dente and serve with the mushroom sauce and cheese.


Here you go, it's all done. What were/are your student time go-to dishes?

Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. Creamy mushroom sauce always reminds me of cloudy days.
    This seems so perfect to eat right now.

    Vegetarian Courtesy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.