5 February 2015

My Cookbooks Part III – The Flavour Thesaurus by Niki Segnit




Today I want to introduce a book that has been a kitchen essential for me for a while now, ever since I purchased it. It's The Flavour Thesaurus by Niki Segnit.

This book is a life saver for creating new recipes or getting inspiration for which ingredients to mix together. It contains an extensive list of ingredients and suggestions to good flavour combinations. 
There are facts and descriptions about the flavours of vegetables, fruits, herbs and spices, so the book makes an interesting reading even without a plan to cook anything. I think this book is a wonderful tool and help for creative cooks and food bloggers of all sorts.

Of course I need to point out that this book lists 99 flavours in total and 14 of those are meat flavours. As this is not a recipe book I can live with the fact that also animal based flavours have been listed. Over the years as a vegetarian I have learned how to ignore these things pretty well anyway. I hope that you can too, as the book is really useful.

This book is also great, if you have a vegetable that you want to cook, but are unsure what flavours compliment it. There are so many flavours listed in the book that you can find a pairing almost every time. Sometimes I've had an idea of what to cook and have double checked with the “Flavoursaurus”, if all the ingredients really go together.

Here you can find the previous posts of My Cookbooks series:

Part I 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.