9 February 2015

Mushroom and spinach lasagne with roasted tomato sauce and fried halloumi

I haven't made a good veggie lasagne for a while, but now I made one. Let's face it, it has to be made at least once in a winter no matter how much a cliché it is. Especially a spinach lasagne I haven't made in ages, so I thought it would be a nice change. Halloumi has become one of my standard lasagne fillings as it adds additional cheesy goodness to the dish. This time I made a roasted tomato sauce for the lasagne. Have a look at my recipe below.


Mushroom and spinach lasagne with roasted tomato sauce and fried halloumi

Ingredients

600 g tomatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
200 g spinach
2 shallots
2 garlic cloves
250 g halloumi
1 tbsp vegetable oil
150 g chestnut mushrooms
1 tbsp tomato purée
Salt, black pepper, nutmeg and oregano to taste
300 g lasagne sheets
200 g mature Cheddar


Method

Roast the tomatoes in the oven brushed with olive oil until they are bursting open.

Wilt the spinach in a medium hot pan with little added water.

Chop the shallots and garlic finely and slice the halloumi and the chestnut mushrooms.

Fry the halloumi slices in the vegetable oil until golden brown.

Cook the shallots and garlic in olive oil until soft and add the roasted tomatoes to the pan.

Season the sauce with tomato purée, salt, black pepper, nutmeg and oregano.

Layer the components in to an oven dish with the lasagne sheets and top with the grated Cheddar.

Bake at 180 C for about 45 minutes or until fully done.

I served the lasagne with a side salad, cottage cheese and garlic knots (recipe here).



How do you like your veggie lasagne? And am I the only one who enjoys cottage cheese as a neutral balancing agent with a lasagne?

Have a great week!

Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. I love veggie lasagne! And you're not alone, I think cottage cheese goes well to balance it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pheww I'm relieved that you feel the same. :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.