7 November 2014

German street food and drink



If I once more may return to my holiday experiences in Germany, I would like to write about the German street food and drink culture. Obviously in Bremen there was loads street food in the offer as the big fair took place. I have already written here about Ischa Freimaak! In this post I'm also referring to my old recipes, as it seems that I have already posted several recipes for these German “street classics”. What I am noticing, is that German street food has still remained quite traditional, not much has changed since my days. There are fried mushrooms with garlic sauce, fried cauliflower, pizza, crêpes, brezel, poffertjes, donuts etc. I think in large cities a different kind of street food movement is already noticeable, for example in Hamburg's Markthalle in the Speicherstadt. It's a covered food market with amazing international food, and many vegetarian alternatives as well.



I enjoyed some local vegetarian delicacies like Reibekuchen, potato fritters with apple sauce, of which I have also published a recipe here. Then I tasted a novelty potato dish, potato spiral in beer batter. These were both very tasty dishes, yet quite rich on deep-fry fat. A little bit of beer was needed to wash them down. 



Vegetarian Flammkuchen I love, and it's more and more often available as a quick snack to go. I sometimes make my own veggie Flammkuchen, and you can find my flame cake recipe here

There are more than enough exquisite sweet alternatives to eat, and the Lebkuchen hearts are of course one of the classics. Unfortunately this time I wasn't so much in the mood for sweet dishes.


During the holiday I also started the Glühwein season by drinking the first mulled wine of the autumn outdoors. Drinking mulled wine outdoors is one of my favourite pastimes for this season and I'm so thrilled about the fact that Christmas markets will open soon! It was also possible to drink beer and wine at street stands (of course in Germany!), and actually the weather was really nice for that on couple of days.






I would like to hear about your experiences of German street food culture. Do I have any German readers who have more idea of the current trends?

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I would have loved to be there!!
    Everything looks so yummy, and I'm such a sucker for pretzels! It's a must every time I go to the theater.
    The only German food I've eaten was at a restaurant called Red Lion. They burned my food a bit ;/ but the apple strudel was beyond delicious!<33

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I had so much fun there and could've eaten so much more. Well, I should have tried much more, but was so full at some point. :)
      German food can be nice, especially the sweet things like apple strudel! It's a shame though that your food got a bit burned.

      Delete
  2. What lovely photographs from your holiday. I have never been to Germany, but would love to go one day. I am so envying that Vegetarian Flammkuchen - my kind of street food. And potato fritters with apple sauce, I am curious as I have never had that combo ever. Thank you for such a colourful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Germany is such a versatile place to visit, each city is quite different yet similar, if you know what I mean... There is a lot to see, and I haven't seen nearly enough even after having lived there for almost 10 years.

      Apple sauce goes surprisingly well with potato fritters! I always choose that traditional combination over for example a garlic sauce.

      Delete
  3. I am often to blogging and i really appreciate your content. The article has really peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your site and keep checking for new information. anonymous

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.