4 May 2014

Tomato and herb tartelettes


I went to a serene Saturday stroll in New Forest yesterday, and I baked these easy tartelettes in the morning to be taken with as a snack. They really tasted extra special among ponies in a beautiful weather. I want to share a few photos I took there with you.









Now to my recipe that makes about 24 tartelettes. I used my colourful silicone muffin cases that my mum has bought me for the baking.


Ingredients

600g puff pastry sheets
About 24 small tomatoes (1 per case)
100g cheddar
100g mozzarella
3 shallots
2 garlic cloves
A handful of fresh basil leaves
1tsp oregano
1tsp sea salt
½tsp ground black pepper
1tbsp olive oil


Method

Pre-heat the oven to 180C.

Chop the shallots and garlic finely and cook them in olive oil briefly until soft. Add the oregano, salt and pepper to the pan. Grate the cheese and roll out the puff pastry thinly, unless you're using already rolled out pastry.

Cut small circles from the pastry with a round cookie cutter, so that when pressed to the muffin case, it rises up and fills out the bottom and the sides; each pastry circle therefore needs to be a little larger than the bottom of the muffin case. First put some of the shallot mix onto the bottom of each case. Then place a single tomato in the middle and fill the cup with the grated cheeses and basil. I chopped the basil leaves coarsely and mixed them with the grated cheese before filling the cases.

Bake at 180C for about 15 minutes. These tartelettes can be enjoyed straight away or even as a cold canapé later on.




Stay hungry!

Your VegHog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.