24 January 2014

Shortbread


Shortbread is a wonderful crumbly biscuit originating from medieval Scotland, which has kept its popularity until this day. Only three ingredients (butter, sugar, flour) are needed, but the making can be trickier than you think.
 

This was my first time making shortbread just on the eve of the Burns Night. They turned out pretty good, but I'm still determined to make better and more authentic ones next time. I have based my experiment on a recipe on the BBC Food page, and these are the results. 

125 g butter
55 g caster sugar + some extra for dusting
180 g wheat flour

Whisk the soft butter and sugar and add flour. Knead to a dough, which can be quite crumbly. Roll the dough into about 1 cm thickness.

Cut the shortbread out with a round or rectangular cookie cutter, place them on baking paper and sprinkle with caster sugar.

Chill the shortbread in the fridge for about 20 minutes.

Finally bake them at 190C for about 15-20 minutes. Try to avoid browning, which I couldn't quite manage this time due to my slightly thinner shortbread and lack of keeping an eye on the oven.


Chill for a while and enjoy with a nice cup of tea or coffee.

Your VegHog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.